"If I could cause these thoughts to come, to stand on this paper, I could read what I mean. May I? May I?" --Karen Peris

Friday, November 29, 2013

A life worth living

Life doesn't always turn out the way that you imagined.

As a young woman, I never thought that at thirty-seven I would be single and child-less.

But then again, God is not a Domino's Delivery Guy--it won't do any good to complain that you didn't get the extra cheese you ordered, and you can't get your money back if your order isn't delivered in 30 minutes or less.

Besides, if you spend time complaining that you didn't get precisely what you thought you wanted--instead of being thankful for the gifts that you have indeed been given--you will waste your life being miserable!

Furthermore, sometimes life's unexpected outcomes can turn out to be life's greatest blessings. If I had gotten married at 22 like I had planned, my life would be incredibly different--and I would rather be single than unhappily married.

So, instead of feeling sorry for ourselves, let's make a life-plan that is not contingent upon [enter unfulfilled dream here]:

1. Choose an occupation--or follow a vocation--that you enjoy.

2. Volunteer for causes that you are passionate about.

3. Make memories with family and friends.

4. Pursue things that you love (read, write, watch movies, attend plays, listen to live music, stare at art, hike, bike, and get out there).

5. Travel, as the desire and budget affords.

6. Do crazy things that may or may not involve: going through a Burger King drive-through while your passengers make your vehicle rock like a gangster; taking pictures in public with a generic Barbie doll (see number 3).

7. Look after "orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27).

So as I stare into the future, not knowing what the future holds, I am going to create the life I want to live.

So there.

"And life is worth living!" --Maximo Park

No comments:

Post a Comment